• Jim Westphalen

  • Sheldon Barn 3 , 2017

  • Photographic Pigment Print
  • 56.00 " x 44.00 "
  • Framed:  57.00 " x 45.00 "
  • Sheldon, VT | Built circa 1850

    Built on the now defunct Missisquoi Valley Railroad line (1843-1995, a branch of the Central Vermont railway), this barn is the only remaining structure of what was once a thriving farm and rail station complex. The original compound included a cattle yard, milking barns, carriage barn, farmhouse, hotel, and train station. In 1910, a spark from a passing train ignited a fire that destroyed all but this small cow barn with its rare coopered wood silo. In 1962, Russell Dodd purchased the land and barn to start his dairy operation with 30 heifers. The structure was used for milking cows right through the 1990s. Since the 1960s, 5 generations of the Dodd family have run their dairy business on the land. They now milk 300 cows in their modern barn across the street. The small wooden barn now sits alone in a field and is used only for hay storage.

    Limited Edition: 1 of 10
  • $5,400